pip/pip3 confusion and keeping up to date

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Nov 2 12:18:09 EDT 2023

Chris Green wrote at 2023-11-2 10:58 +0000:
>So, going on from this, how do I do the equivalent of "apt update; apt
>upgrade" for my globally installed pip packages?

`pip list -o` will tell you for which packages there are upgrades
available.
`pip install -U ...` will upgrade packages.

Be careful, though.
With `apt`, you usually have (`apt`) sources representing a consistent
package universe. Someone tests that package upgrades in this
universe do not break other packages (in this universe).
Because of this, upgrading poses low risk.

`PyPI` does not guarantes consistency. A new package version
may be incompatible to a previous one -- and with other
package you have installed.

I do not think that you would want to auto-upgrade all installed
packages.