pip/pip3 confusion and keeping up to date

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Mon Nov 6 02:58:00 EST 2023

Karsten Hilbert wrote at 2023-11-5 23:19 +0100:
>do you happen to know where to read up on how to fit a pip
>constraint file into a Debian package creation workflow ?

I have only rudimentary `apt` knowledge.

I know it is quite flexible, e.g. it used to handle `flash`
in a special way. I expect it flexible enough to load from `PyPI`.

`apt` is essentially controlled by a set of `sources`.
Each "source" describes a list of package distributions.
A description contains metadata about the distribution
including name, version, description, dependencies, incompatibilities, etc.

Any integration would require you to define one or more
"source"s, listing the distributions which should come from `PyPI`.
This would allow you to specify potential upgrades at a central
place, the "source"s, you control.
It would not solve the more fundamental problem: to determine
which versions are compatible with the universe of (all the
"sources" described) package versions.

I know that debian packagers create debian packages
from Python distributions not using the approach sketched above
and likely they have their reasons.

You might want to discuss this on an `apt` related mailing list.