Tkinter docs?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue May 23 23:26:24 EDT 2023

On 2023-05-24, Rob Cliffe via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
> I have recently started converting a large project to tkinter, starting
> with zero knowledge of tkinter.  (You are free to think: BAD IDEA. 😁)

Well, you could be translating them to Tcl/Tk -- so on the scale of
bad ideas, your's barely registers.

> I am well aware that adopting a new tool always involves a learning
> curve, and that one is prone to think that things are more difficult
> than they are/should be, and to belly-ache about it, and that in a year
> from now I'll probably wonder what I'm fussing about.
> Nonetheless ISTM that there is a particular problem with tkinter:
>
>   There doesn't seem to be any decent documentation for it anywhere.

Back in the day, the Grayson book was the definitive reference:

   https://www.amazon.com/Python-Tkinter-Programming-John-Grayson/dp/1884777813/

It's 20+ years old now, so the version of Python it uses is pretty
ancient, and I presume Tk has also changed a bit over the years, so...

There are a couple recent books, but I haven't looked at them:

   https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Tkinter-Busy-Python-Developers-dp-1999149564/dp/1999149564/

   https://www.amazon.com/Python-GUI-Programming-Tkinter-user-friendly/dp/1801815925/

--
Grant