Python not showing correct version

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Fri Mar 31 08:49:23 EDT 2023

On 3/31/2023 8:27 AM, Sumeet Firodia wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> This is getting more complicated.
> As per the command you shared, below is the output
>
> C:\Users\admin>py -3.8 -m pip --version
> pip 19.2.3 from
> C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\site-packages\pip
> (python 3.8)
>
> For pip --version below is the output
>
> C:\Users\admin>pip --version
> pip 23.0.1 from
> C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python310\site-packages\pip
> (python 3.10)
>
> Now if I want to upgrade the pip version it says requirement already met
>
> C:\Users\admin>python -m pip install --upgrade pip
> Requirement already satisfied: pip in
> c:\users\admin\appdata\local\packages\pythonsoftwarefoundation.python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0\localcache\local-packages\python310\site-packages
> (23.0.1)
>
> Please let me know how can I cleanup everything so that I dont see python
> 3.10.10 and can work with 3.8
>
> Thanks
> Sumeet
>
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2023 at 14:21, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
>

>>> On 31 Mar 2023, at 09:33, Sumeet Firodia <ssfirodia at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Barry.
>>>
>>> One more thing is that pip --version also refers to python 3.10
>>>
>>> C:\Users\admin>pip --version
>>> pip 23.0.1 from
>> C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python310\site-packages\pip
>> (python 3.10)
>>
>> Use this command to ensure that pip matches the python you wish to use:
>>
>> py -3.8 -m pip --version
>>
>> Barry
>>

>>> The issue here is I am trying to use snowpark for which I need python
>> 3.8 but because of this I am not able to proceed with next steps.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sumeet

>> in

>> installed.

>> python.org <http://python.org/>, for example.
>> to do this.

>> because of

We have been telling you to type "py -3.8" instead of typing "python".
We have been telling you to type "py -3.8 -m pip" instead of "python -m
pip".  Now you complain that you did something else and got a wrong result.

If you want to upgrade pip for Python 3.8, then follow the pattern and
type "py -3.8 -m pip install --upgrade pip".  Everywhere you would have
typed "python" type "py -3.8" instead.