Patrick Sheehan: Major Issues with Python

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sun Mar 26 09:31:12 EDT 2023

On 3/25/23 14:03, Patrick Sheehan wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been working with the attached book (See photo) to try to learn
> Python and so far it has been a complete nightmare trying to get python
> installed and operating correctly.  I have received a plethora of error
> messages and consulted youtube videos and chat groups to try to remedy the
> issues.  I am using a computer that is running Windows 10.  I have
> installed, and un-installed several versions of Python and was able to
> complete the first two lessons in the attached book, but could not complete
> lesson 3 (Turtledemo)...Some of the error messages I have received
> include:  "This app cannot run on your PC"; "Unable to initialize device
> PRN"; “Python is not recognized as an internal or external command”:
> "Python was not found: run without arguments to install from Microsoft
> Store, or disable this shortcut from settings mange, app execution
> aliases:"...

If you installed the conventional way, use the command name "py" instead
of "python" to run things from a command shell.  Alternatively, you
could try an installation of Python from the Microsoft Store (as the
little stub program named python, which Microsoft preinstalls for the
express purpose of giving you this hint).  There are times when getting
Python working without hassle is easier when going that route.

You *can* add python to the search PATH, there's an option in the
installer (you can rerun this from the Apps & features Settings
applet)... in the screen for advanced options there's something that
says "Add python to environment variables" or similar wording.

 >I have been at this for 4 days now at least three hours each
> day...Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
> appreciated.  Additionally, I do have PyCharm installed (As you can tell, I
> am a beginner), is PyCharm the same thing as Python?

No. It's an "integrated development environment" - editor, debugger,
source control wrangler and many other things.  It still needs to have a
working Python installed. It will probably find the installed Python
more easily than you will.  The concept of an IDE is you can do all your
programming work without leaving it - you don't have to hop between
editor, command line, and invoke other tools.  PyCharm is only one of
many entrants in this space for Python programmers.  It's excellent, but
I find it rather, ummm, "bulky", for beginners - there are a ton of
features you'll not use early on in your journey, and thus I find it
makes it much harder to find the things you do need in menus, help, etc.
Up to you whether you push ahead with using it now, or leave it for a
bit later when you're doing more complex things.

We have no idea what book you're using, by the way, as the list strips
images and other attachments.  In any case, there are hundreds of Python
books out now, most of us don't know about a particular one (unless we