Distributing program for Linux

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 15 08:27:25 EDT 2023

Anssi Saari <as at sci.fi> writes:

> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> I am aware that an individual user could use (mini)conda to install a
>> more recent version of Python in his/her home directory, but I am
>> interested in how root would install such a program.
>
> Root would install the script and required Python version somewhere
> depending any site specific practices and then use things like pyenv,
> stow, environment modules or whatever to give the users access to it.

The program is not for normal users, but is a system program.  Many
admins who might install the program will be using environment modules,
so that, coupled with setting

  #!/usr/bin/env python3

for the scripts, looks like it might be a reasonable solution.

> Root might even package your script with the interpreter required into
> one binary. See Tools/freeze in the source distribution.

Well, anyone who has the sources can do that, if so inclined.
Personally, I already have enough versions of Python (currently 12
versions installed via EasyBuild plus the 2 from the OS itself) without
creating fat binaries which contain a copy of one of those version.

Cheers,

Loris

--
This signature is currently under constuction.