Can you process seismographic signals in Python or should I switch to Matlab ?

a a manta103g at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 00:39:07 EDT 2023

On Sunday, 12 March 2023 at 06:17:54 UTC+1, avi.e... at gmail.com wrote:
> I have used GNU Octave as a sort of replacement for MATLAB as a free
> resource. I have no idea if it might meet your needs.
>
> Although Python is a good environment for many things, if you have no
> knowledge of it yet, it can take a while to know enough and if you just need
> it for one project, ...

Thank you my dear friends for your kind opinions.

Matlab is pro, commercial, paid and demo is available for tests only.
So it's hard to dicuss projects, apps in Matlab if cannot be verified by peers.

What is hot today is the following 3D plot animation in Matplotlib

https://twitter.com/gmrpetricca/status/1633477532526817281

But some unknown reasons Matplotlib and numpy crash my Python 3.8 for Windows , 32-bit and no support is offered

Ok, I can read 100 research papers daily, preview hundreds pages of text from search engines.

But what I need is analysis of seismograms from 4,000 seismographs world wide to detect P-wave energy distribution underground around the earthquake to verify EQ Domino Effect

As you can see below, the Matlab project named in my first submission turned into Python project
and EQ energy envelope makes sense.

But I would prefer to join 100+ man project in seismology since it may take me months to download
seismograms, process seismograms, preview, select features and build EQ energy envelope 3D plots for earthquakes in Turkey alone.

To develop another theory, to get data, process data and get results for analysis to verify EQ energy envelope Domino Effect

I am afraid there are no team research projects in seismology.
What is published and discussed is one-man project.

----

PICOSS: Python Interface for the Classification of
Seismic Signals
A. Buenoa, L. Zuccarellob,c, A. D ́ıaz-Morenod, J. Woolamd, M. Titosb, L.
Garc ́ıaa, I.  ́Alvareza, J. Prudenciob, S. De Angelisd
aDepartment of Signal Theory, Telematic and Communications, University of Granada,
Spain.
bDepartment of Theoretical Physics and Cosmos, University of Granada, Spain.
cIstituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Sezione di Pisa, Italy
dDepartment of Earth, Ocean and Ecological Sciences, University of Liverpool, UK

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/334413225.pdf

seismic-signal

https://github.com/topics/seismic-signal

STA-LTA Algorithm and Seismometer Trajectory visualization in 3D

Tonumoy /
STA-LTA-Algorithm-and-Seismometer-Trajectory-visualization-in-3D

https://github.com/Tonumoy/STA-LTA-Algorithm-and-Seismometer-Trajectory-visualization-in-3D

PICOSS

    A Python Interface for the Classification of Seismic Signals.

PICOSS is a Python GUI designed as a modular data-curator platform for volcano-seismic data analysis. Detection, segmentation and classification. With exportability and standardization at its core, users can select automatic or manual workflows to annotate seismic data from the suite of included tools.

Originally, PICOSS was designed for the purposes of seismicity research as a collaboration between University of Granada (UGR) and University of Liverpool (UoL). However, the system can be used within a wide range of geophysical applications.
We are currently working on switching the interface from Python 2.7 to Python 3.0+

https://github.com/srsudo/PICOSS

https://github.com/srsudo/PICOSS/blob/master/info/tutorials/howto.md

Simulations of the Loma Prieta earthquake using an energy-based envelope shape.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Simulations-of-the-Loma-Prieta-earthquake-using-an-energy-based-envelope-shape-Response_fig12_315724830