HTTP server benchmarking/load testing in Python

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Thu Jan 26 11:32:02 EST 2023

On 1/26/2023 11:02 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2023-01-26, Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Frankly, if you can overheat a server by hitting it with HTTP requests,
>>> get better hardware and/or put it into a place with better airflow.
>>>

>> Frankly, if you have a server-grade machine then well and good but if
>> you are running a nice quiet consumer grade laptop - my development
>> machine - you need to be careful.
>
> A properly designed laptop with a non-broken OS will not overheat
> regardless of the computing load you throw at it. The fan might get
> annoying loud, but if it overheats either your hardware or OS needs
> to be fixed.

A nice theory but nothing to do with the real world.  I've had a number
of laptops that overheat (or would, if I let test program continue)
running this test program.  They have been different brands, different
CPUs, different levels of noisy fans.  I don't know how I would find one
of your "properly designed laptops with a non-broken OS", or what could
be done to fix it.  Maybe a high-end gaming machine... which I don't
wish to invest in or hear the fan noise from.

Anyway, the point was to warn other people - who probably also wouldn't
have a "properly designed laptop with a non-broken OS" - that they
should keep an eye on their CPU core temperatures.  In my experience,
that's a real concern, whether or not it "should not" be an issue.