HTTP server benchmarking/load testing in Python

Benjamin Schollnick bschollnick at schollnick.net
Thu Jan 26 11:13:32 EST 2023

> On Jan 26, 2023, at 11:02 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2023-01-26, Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Frankly, if you can overheat a server by hitting it with HTTP requests,
>>> get better hardware and/or put it into a place with better airflow.
>>>

>> Frankly, if you have a server-grade machine then well and good but if
>> you are running a nice quiet consumer grade laptop - my development
>> machine - you need to be careful.
>
> A properly designed laptop with a non-broken OS will not overheat
> regardless of the computing load you throw at it. The fan might get
> annoying loud, but if it overheats either your hardware or OS needs
> to be fixed.

Exactly.

But what he might be thinking about is Thermal Throttling, which I keep seeing people attribute
to overheating….

Overheating is not thermal throttling, it’s the OS and CPU protecting themselves from overheating.
Usually because the manufacturer didn’t add enough cooling to keep the system cool enough with a continuous load.  (Which to be honest, almost no laptop designers do, because they assuming you are going to be having a spiky load instead…

	- Benjamin