NoneType List

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Sun Jan 1 13:03:24 EST 2023

On 1/1/2023 8:47 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> writes:
>> Guido had been working on the ABC language for some years before he
>> developed Python.  ABC was intended mainly as a teaching and prototyping
>> language.
>
>    In those days, there used to be a language called "Pascal".
>    Pascal had a dichotomy between "functions" and "procedures".
>    A call to a function was intended to have a value.
>    A call to a procedure was intended to have an effect.

Wirth developed Pascal as a teaching language. IIRC, originally it was
taught to students before there were any implementations. I did most of
my programming with Turbo Pascal for many years.  Just to clarify what
you wrote above, in Pascal a "procedure" does not return anything while
a "function" does.

I really liked (Turbo) Pascal and I hated C back then.  No wonder I like
Python so much.  It must be something about how my mind works.