Is npyscreen still alive?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 12:32:37 EDT 2023

On 2023-04-24, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> The other big advantage of an ncurses program is that since curses
> support is in the std library, a curses app is simpler to
> distribute.  Right now, the application is a single .py file you
> just copy to the destination machine and run.  It supports
> command-line use and a Tk GUI. I can add an ncurses "CUI" without
> having to either adopt a more complex bundling mechanism that
> requires it to be "installed" or require that users install
> dependencies via pip/apt/yum/whatever.

However... I just realized that Python's curses support is missing two
huge chunks: both menu and form support are not there.  I guess that
explains why people feel the need to write high-level UI wrappers for
Python curses: the high level stuff that curses does support is
missing from the Python bindings.

Adding a curses UI for my app might not be feasible after all...

--
Grant