Is npyscreen still alive?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 10:04:22 EDT 2023

On 2023-04-24, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/21/23 15:57, Barry wrote:
>
>> Maybe this, recently lwn.net article,
>> https://textual.textualize.io/ I was planning to check it out.
>
> Textual definitely looks slick and modern.  And with a modern
> terminal emulator it works quite well and is responsive.  I'd
> definitely consider it for a TUI.
>
> But on the Linux console, or on an older terminal, not so much.
> Textual's really designed for smallish unicode fonts in a windowed
> environment, not any kind of real, old-school text mode.  Just
> something to keep in mind.  99% of terminal users are using a modern
> terminal emulator these days, with full color and unicode, which is
> the target of textual.

Is putty running on Windows a "modern terminal emulator" in this
context?  After observing some of the local IT types work, I suspect
that will be a common use-case for the app I'm working on.

> Curses-based programs don't look great on anything, but they do look
> consistent on more primitive terminals.

The other big advantage of an ncurses program is that since curses
support is in the std library, a curses app is simpler to distribute.
Right now, the application is a single .py file you just copy to the
destination machine and run.  It supports command-line use and a Tk
GUI. I can add an ncurses "CUI" without having to either adopt a more
complex bundling mechanism that requires it to be "installed" or
require that users install dependencies via pip/apt/yum/whatever.

--
Grant