Pycharm IDE

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Thu Apr 20 08:52:59 EDT 2023

On 4/19/2023 7:48 PM, dn via Python-list wrote:

>>> ^ I think this one should be:
>>>
>>> print(f'{LIMIT}')
>>>
>>> with the closing quote ;o)
>>
>> Yup a typo!  Where's pylint when I need it?
>
> but (and you designed it this way - right?) an excellent object-lesson
> for the OP
>
> AND
>
> great rationale for why linters are so handy!

The Leo editor, which I use, checks the file you are working on for
syntax errors and also for undefined variables, missing imports, and the
like, when you save it.  It gives you a clickable link to the line in
question.  This is a good compromise because it stays out of your way
until you take a break by saving.

> I am bullish on F-strings, but they can stretch the typing fingers and
> strain the eyes. Remember the days when pythonista used to make
> deprecating remarks about the superiority of Python's syntax because we
> didn't have 'all those braces' (and other punctuation-characters)
> cluttering-up the code???

When you get right down for it, there isn't much difference between

'Here is the result: %s, %s' %(a.b, c)

and

'Here is the result: {}, {}'.format(a.b, c)

Readability and typeability aren't much different.  It's only when we
get to f-strings that there's a real change, and the second form started
to prepare us for it (yes, I know that the .format() form lets you use
your own formatter - probably a real advantage though I never had
occasion to use it)