Cannot install pkg_resources using pip

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Mon Apr 17 15:24:03 EDT 2023

On 2023-04-16 17:03:43 -0400, Thomas Passin wrote:
> On 4/16/2023 4:42 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> > Python3-3.9.10 installed on this Slackware64-14.2 desktop.
[...]
> > # pip install setuptools
> > bash: /usr/bin/pip: /usr/bin/python3.7: bad interpreter: No such file or
> > directory
> >
> > There is no python3.7 here:
> > # ls /usr/bin/python3.7
> > ls: cannot access '/usr/bin/python3.7': No such file or directory
> >
> > How do I clean this up?
>
> What is there to clean up?

There is a version of pip installed for a version of python which isn't
installed. That's definitely not useful, so it should be cleaned up.

As to how to do that:

Find out which package /usr/bin/pip belongs to and deinstall or upgrade
this package. How to find that package is a Slackware question, not a
Python question. And since Rich wrote that he's been comfortably using
Slackware for 20 years, I'll trust that he knows how to do that and just
needed a little nudge into the right direction.

        hp