Cannot install pkg_resources using pip

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Apr 16 18:27:56 EDT 2023

On Sun, 16 Apr 2023, Thomas Passin wrote:

> It worked then because your path found a pip script. When there are more
> than one Python installations, it can be unclear which one will get run,
> depending on how the path got set up after the last version was installed.

Thomas,

I probably last used pip with a python-3.7 version.

> To check your version of Python, run
> python3 -V

$ python3 -V
Python 3.9.10

> Then try to run pip:
> python3.9 -m pip

$ python3.9 -m pip
/usr/bin/python3.9: No module named pip

> If pip has not been installed (very possible on Linux), then you will need to
> get it.  If python3.9 is not the system-upgraded version, then do an internet
> search for "linux python install pip". There's a pip website that has an
> installer for it. I never remember what it's called, so I always have to
> search for it myself.

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/install-python-pip-linux

I'll download the installer from ther.

> If it appears that python3.9 *is* the version installed by the system, then
> use the system installer to install the right version of pip - as I said
> above, the package name can vary across distros.

It should have been installed with the upgrade to 3.9.10

> Your message doesn't seem to have been copied to the mailing list. If you
> don't mind, it could help other people if you copied it and this reply to
> the list.

I always respond to the mail list if that's the 'reply to' address.
Sometimes I don't check the address used in my reply, assuming it's correct.

Thanks,

Rich