Cannot install pkg_resources using pip

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Sun Apr 16 17:03:43 EDT 2023

On 4/16/2023 4:42 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Python3-3.9.10 installed on this Slackware64-14.2 desktop. Trying to run
> meson to build an application I'm told it's missing pkg_resources, which is
> part of setuptools. The command fails:
> # pip install setuptools
> bash: /usr/bin/pip: /usr/bin/python3.7: bad interpreter: No such file or
> directory
>
> There is no python3.7 here:
> # ls /usr/bin/python3.7
> ls: cannot access '/usr/bin/python3.7': No such file or directory
>
> How do I clean this up?

What is there to clean up?  If you have Python 3.9 installed, why are
you fooling around trying to run Python 3.7? It seems you are not
telling us something ...

It's better to always run pip with the version of Python that you intend
to use.  If that is launched when you type "python3", then run pip this way:

python3 -m pip

If instead you want to use, say, python3.9, then type this:

python3.9 -m pip