Windows installer from python source code without access to source code

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 03:50:36 EDT 2023

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 at 13:16, <2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com> wrote:

> On 2023-04-01 at 10:49:18 +1100,
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [...] I don't have access to the Gmail source code but I'm using the
> > service [...]
>
> You have access to Gmail's front end source code.  Your web browser runs
> it every time you use the service (and probably while you aren't using
> the service, too).

Yes, and I'm talking about their back end source code, which I most
definitely do NOT have access to, and therefore cannot copy.

> My educated guess is that Google expended some
> effort to hinder you from looking at and/or analyzing (or do you say
> analysing?) that code, and that their lawyers will come knocking at your
> metaphorical door if they so much as think you are using that code in
> some way other than running it inside your web browser.  If only this
> situation were a cruel April Fool's Day joke.

They haven't done very much, I happen to know this relating to other
services. From what I can tell, Google's front ends aren't very well
protected, for the simple reason that they're quite useless without
the corresponding back ends.

> You don't have access to Gmail's back end source code.
>
> Many/Most web apps follow this pattern to varying degrees.  I do not
> know whether this setup meets the OP's requirements.

Exactly. That's why I pointed it out. This is the only way to truly
protect your source code: Don't give it out.

ChrisA