NEO6 GPS with Py PICO with micropython

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Nov 29 16:59:02 EST 2022

On 11/29/22 06:56, KK CHN wrote:
> List ,
> I am following this tutorial to  get latitude and longitude data  using
> NEO6 GPS module and Py PICO  to read the GPS data from the device.
>
> I followed the code specified in this tutorial.
> https://microcontrollerslab.com/neo-6m-gps-module-raspberry-pi-pico-micropython/
>
> I have installed thony IDE in my Desktop(windows PC) and  run the code
> after the devices all connected and using USB cable connected to my PC.
>
> When I ran the program I am able to see the output of  latitude and
> longitude in the console of thony IDE.  But  between certain intervals of a
> few seconds  I am getting the latitude and longitude data ( its printing
> GPS data not found ?? ) in the python console.
>
> The satellite count from the $GGPA output showing 03 ..
> and the GPS data not found repeating randomly for intervals of seconds.
> Any hints why it is missing the GPS data (randomly) ??
>
> PS:-  The GPS device I placed outside  my window and connected to the PC
> with a USB cable from the PICO  module.     GPS device NEO6 light (Red LED
> ) blinking even though the "  GPS data not found" messages in th python
> console.
>
> Any hints ?? most welcome
>
> Yours,
> Krishane

 From a retired broadcast engineer, intimately familiar with vswr:

std, wire only usb cables can get to acting flaky at 5 feet. If the
cable to the receiver is more than that, a higher quality cable may be
required. The better cable will probably have active electronics in the
molded on ends that treats the cable as a transmission line,
Which if done right can go as much as ten meters at usb2 speeds.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis