Problems with IDLE in Windows 8.1 and installer x86 Version 3.10.8

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Wed Nov 9 21:00:04 EST 2022

On 11/9/2022 7:02 PM, darkstone at o2online.de wrote:
> Is there no one who can help?

Is there a reason why you tried to install a 32-bit version?  Most
personal computers are 64-bit ones these days. Also, I don't remember if
you are running Windows or not.

One problem for getting help from the list is that there have not been
many details given. "Doesn't start" is not helpful.  Are there error
messages displayed on the terminal?  How did you try to start it?  Does
Python run at all?

A Python installation normally includes a batch file that launches idle.
  This batch file may not be on your path for one reason or another.  If
so, it would not run when you type "idle" at a command line.

So the first thing to do is to figure out if you have either the Python
program idle.py or idle.pyw, or the batch file idle.bat (for Windows)
On Linux Mint, when I typed "idle" at a terminal, I got this message:

"Command 'idle' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install idle"

So that's how you would get it with that flavor of Linux.

I'm going to walk through what I would probably do if I had the same
problem on Windows (I'm going to assume that you are running Windows).
It's a little long to write out, but not really that hard.  Basically,
there are only a few steps:

1. Find your Python installation;
2. Look in the installation location to see if the idle program is there;
3.  If it is, try to run it and note any error messages.

First you need to find out where your Python installation is located on
your system disk. If you don't know, one way to find out is to run the
following command in a console window:

where /R %USERPROFILE% python.exe

You may be surprised that there more several ones that you didn't
expect, such as (on my computer):

C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_8wekyb3d8bbwe\python.exe

It seems that Windows has its own Python installation; that's not the
one you want.  You are looking for one that looks like this (with your
own user name, of course, instead of mine):

C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\python.exe

Appdata\Local\Programs is where Python3 usually gets installed.  Now we
know that I have Python 3.10 at
C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\Programs\Python.  You may be using a
different version of Python; if so, just use that version instead.

Idle is normally installed in the directory tree under python.  Let's
call the top of that tree %PYTH0N%.  On my system, as we see above, that
is C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310.  Idle should be at

%PYTHON%\Lib\idlelib

Open Windows explorer, and navigate to that directory. If you have that
directory, then you should be able to run idle.  If it doesn't exist,
That's a problem and needs to be fixed, probably by a fresh install of
Python.  If it does, you will see the batch file idle.bat.  Double-click
it, and idle should run.  If it does not, see below.

That's not a convenient way to run idle time after time.  Either you
need to get idle on your path, or perhaps it will be available using the
windows Start menu.  Check that out by tapping the Windows key, then
typing "idle" (without the quotes).  It may be there.  But look closely,
for it may be the idle associated with a different version of Python
than the one you want to use.  For example, on my system I have Idle in
the Start Menu, but only for Python 3.7 and not Python 3.10 which is the
most recent version I have.

If you double-clicked on the idle batch file but it failed to run, then
you need to get any error messages.  You need to run it from a console
so you can see any output.  Open a console. you want to run idle using
python and not pythonw (because pythonw will not open a window).  So in
the console, type "python " (without quotes but with the space), then
the path to the file.

The path to the file is a lot to type, and it's easier to just drag the
icon for the file (remember, it's idle.py) into the console window.
Press the <ENTER> key and idle should run.  If it doesn't, note any
error messages.  Then come back here and tell us what they were.

It's possible that the "where" program didn't find your python
installation.  That would be because it's installed somewhere outside of
your user tree, like Program Files.  You can look again in the entire
disk (assuming it's on the c: drive, which is almost certainly so):

where /R c:\% python.exe