Request for assistance (hopefully not OT)

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sat May 21 08:19:58 EDT 2022

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 6:20 AM o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I was having space issues in my /usr directory so I deleted some
> programs thinking that the space taken was more an issue than having
> older versions of the program.

Found the responses to my request quite interesting - - - actually fascinating.
To me a computer has to date been a tool - - - - not a tool kit - - -
- nor a place
to spend a life. This means that I have had to rely on other more knowledgeable
with the 'under the hood' material for advice. Have found that in the computer
world - - - - and especially the 'Linux' world that the idea of
assisting a requester,
well - - - it seems to be a foreign concept. To wit - - - in this
thread 50% of the
posts were of the variety - - - why would you do such a stupid thing. 40% of
the posts had some suggestions for at the least avenues of inquiry and only
1 post gave a carefully written response that not only gave ideas but suggested
a possible process to finding a solution.

It was necessary to manually install (download from the repository and
then using
dpkg -i to install) all of the necessary bits to each version that was
listed in the
complaint. I tried to use apt but that option did not produce useful results.
This was a lot more involved that one might think as there is not only
the pythonx.xx version but pythonx.xx-minimal and -dev and sometimes even -dbg.
The order of install was also important.

So even though the request for assistance was to much met by kvetching there
was enough 'help' so that it was possible to 'fix' the issue.

Thanks and kudus to those that did 'help' and those who found the kvetching
more useful - - - - well - - - - I don't have to wonder why 'linux' is
used as much
by the general populace as it is. The community likes to destroy
itself - - - it
is a pity - - - - the community has so much to offer.

Regards