tail

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Wed May 11 19:47:56 EDT 2022

Just FYI, UNIX had a bunch of utilities that could emulate a vanilla version of tail on a command line.
You can use sed, awk and quite a few others to simply show line N to the end of a file or other variations.
Of course the way many things were done back then had less focus on efficiency than how to stepwise make changes in a pipeline so reading from the beginning to end was not an issue.