Python/New/Learn

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 5 21:55:41 EDT 2022

On Fri, 6 May 2022 at 09:53, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2022-05-05, Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:
>
> > Without having any data at all on it, just my impressions, more
> > people these days learn from in-person or video experiences.
>
> I've always been utterly baffled by video tutorials for
> programming. There must be people who prefer that format, but it seems
> like absolutely the worst possible option for me. You can't cut/paste
> snippets from the examples. You have to constantly pause them so you
> can try out examples. Sometimes it's not even easy to read the
> examples. Perhaps if there was an accompanying web page or PDF...

Video tutorials make GREAT sense for learning complicated programs
like Adobe PhotoShop or some 3D game design engines, because (a) most
of what you need is in the menus somewhere, but it's hard to find; (b)
you can aim the tutorial at a specific version, and it'll be the same
for all users; and (c) you can talk about it at the same speed that
people can follow along.

Video tutorials do NOT make sense for anything where you'll be using
your own editor, typing in code, and having it behave the same way.
There's nothing to point-and-click, and everything to type.

But some people start making tutorials of the first kind, and then go
on to make some of the second kind, thinking they'll also be useful.

ChrisA