Exchange OWA using Python?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 21:17:44 EDT 2022

On 2022-03-31, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 16:22:33 -0700 (PDT), Grant Edwards
><grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> declaimed the following:
>

>>OWA is an HTTP-based API suspport by MS Exchange server.
>
> From what I found, M$ doesn't consider OWA to be an API... It expands
> to "Outlook Web App", period, (and more recently is called "Outlook for the
> Web").

Right. There used to be an API called "EWS", but that's no longer
available (at least on the servers I've dealt with). Instead, there's
a REST/JSON api that's used by the outlook web client.

There are a few email clients (that I'm aware of) that have figured
out how to use that API:

 Hiri

   <https://www.hiri.com/> (now abandoned) which stopped working for
   me yesterday.

 Webmail for OWA

   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=smtb.owa Android app.

 OWL Thunderbird plug-in

   This is working nicely for me.

There is an older Thunderbird plugin (by the developers of OWL) that
used the EWS protocol (but not OWA) called ExQuilla.

I think that the protocol used by Outlook is MAPI/RPC or MAPI/HTTP. I
believe that Evolution used to be able to use that protocol, but from
what I've read it only works with very old versions of Exchange. For
newer Exchange servers, Evolution supports EWS, but the servers I've
dealt with over the past few years didn't seem to support EWS. [Though
I haven't tried for a while.]