Suggestion for Linux Distro (from PSA: Linux vulnerability)

Marco Sulla Marco.Sulla.Python at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:33:55 EDT 2022

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 at 18:38, Cecil Westerhof via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:
> Most people think that
> Ubuntu is that also, because it is based on Debian. But Ubuntu wants
> also provide the newest versions of software and this will affect the
> stability and security negatively.

I think you're referring to the fact that Ubuntu releases a new stable
version every 6 months, while Debian every 2 years. This is true, but
Ubuntu also releases a LTS every 2 years. You can install a LTS and
change the options so you'll update the system only where a new LTS is
coming out. Furthermore you're not forced to upgrade, you can do it
when the LTS comes to the end.

On the other hand, you can live on the edge with Debian too. You can
install an unstable branch.

Furthermore, there's the company factor. According to Google, Debian
has about 1k devs, while Ubuntu only about 250. But these devs work
full time on Ubuntu and they are paid for. Not sure this is not an
important point. For what I know, historically the distros with the
reputation to be more stable are distros maintained by companies, Red
Hat and Gentoo for example.

About stability and security, I can't disagree. But I suppose the
people that use the unstable version of some Linux distro are useful
for testing and reporting bugs, also security one. So they contribute
to the stable versions, and I think we have to be grateful to these
"pioneers".