Suggestion for Linux Distro (from PSA: Linux vulnerability)

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Thu Mar 31 03:42:39 EDT 2022

"Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-python at hjp.at> writes:

> On 2022-03-28 15:35:07 +0200, Cecil Westerhof via Python-list wrote:
>> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de> writes:
>> > Ubuntu is presumably relying on the Debian security team as well as
>> > other volunteers and at least one company, namely Canonical.
>>
>> Nope. One important reason that I really hate that people use Ubuntu
>> for servers is that Ubuntu wants to be up to date.
>
> Not sure what you mean by that.
>
> There is an Ubuntu LTS release every 2 years. There is also a Debian
> release roughly every 2 years (although not on quite as strict a
> schedule). So that's very similar.
>
>> So Ubuntu starts very close to Debian security wise, but will shift
>> rapidly.
>
> They are are about a year apart, so they will usually contain different
> versions of most packages right from the start. So the Ubuntu and Debian
> security teams probably can't benefit much from each other.

That is is what I partly mean.

Debian is very big on security and stability. Most people think that
Ubuntu is that also, because it is based on Debian. But Ubuntu wants
also provide the newest versions of software and this will affect the
stability and security negatively.
Even for a desktop I find stability and security more important as the
newest versions. That is why I even for the desktop use Debian.
Personally I find it strange that people choose newest versions over
stability and security for a server.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer