Behavior of the for-else construct

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Sun Mar 6 11:39:51 EST 2022

On 2022-03-05 14:25:35 -0500, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:39:36 -0600, "Michael F. Stemper"
> <michael.stemper at gmail.com> declaimed the following:
> >... especially Pascal, which was probably bigger in Germany and Austria
> >in the 1980s than was C.
>
> 	Pascal also defined alternate representations (per Jensen&Wirth) for
> some of those (and I don't recall ever seeing a system that actually had an
> up-arrow character -- and selecting one in character map doesn't help, my
> client doesn't render it).
>
> direct	alternate
> ?		^ or @		<no idea what is going to be shown>
> [			(.
> ]			.)
> {			(*
> }			*)

(* *) for comments was actually pretty commonly used - maybe because it
stands out more than { }. I don't know if I've ever seen (. .) instead
of [ ].

C also has alternative rerpresentations for characters not in the common
subset of ISO-646 and EBCDIC. However, the trigraphs are extremely ugly
(e.g ??< ??> instead of { }). I have seen them used (on an IBM/390
system with an EBCDIC variant without curly braces) and it's really no
fun to read that.

        hp