Behavior of the for-else construct

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 5 14:25:35 EST 2022

On Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:39:36 -0600, "Michael F. Stemper"
<michael.stemper at gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>... especially Pascal, which was probably bigger in Germany and Austria
>in the 1980s than was C.

	Pascal also defined alternate representations (per Jensen&Wirth) for
some of those (and I don't recall ever seeing a system that actually had an
up-arrow character -- and selecting one in character map doesn't help, my
client doesn't render it).

direct	alternate
?		^ or @		<no idea what is going to be shown>
[			(.
]			.)
{			(*
}			*)

	I'll admit... (. is a clumsy sequence to type in place of [ (RH ring
finger to top-row <shift-9> on modern keyboards followed by RH ring finger
to bottom-row .), but it is a sequence any terminal mapping to a common
/typewriter/ keyboard should have available. (* isn't quite as clumsy (RH
ring finger to top-row <shift-9> followed by RH middle finger to top-row
<shift-8>).

	More fun is had when doing APL without a dedicated APL keyboard <G>
(Though Xerox Sigma APL also had plain text alternatives: $RHO for example)

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/