"CPython"

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:12:02 EDT 2022

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 at 06:31, Stefan Ram <ram at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Paulo da Silva <p_d_a_s_i_l_v_a_ns at nonetnoaddress.pt> writes:
> >Do you have any credible reference to your assertion "The "C" in
> >"CPython" stands for C."?
>
>   Whether a source is considered "credible" is something
>   everyone must decide for themselves.
>
>   I can say that the overwhelming majority of results of Web
>   searches about this topic yields expressions of the view
>   that the "C" in "CPython" stands for C, "overwhelming
>   majority" when compared to expressions of other interpretations
>   of that "C", and "overwhelming majority" meaning something
>   like more than 90 percent.
>
>   For one example, there seems to be a book "CPython Internals"
>   which seems to say, according to one Web search engine:
>
> |The C in CPython is a reference to the C programming
> |language, indicating that this Python distribution is
> |written in the C language.

Does python.org count as "credible"?

https://docs.python.org/3/reference/introduction.html

CPython: This is the original and most-maintained implementation of
Python, written in C.

I think that's about as close as you're going to get to an answer.
Given that it is, in that page, being distinguished from Jython
(implemented in Python), PyPy (implemented in Python), Python for .NET
(implemented for the .NET runtime), and IronPython (one of these is
not like the others, whatever, but it's the one originally implemented
for .NET), it seems fairly safe to say that the C in CPython means the
implementation language.

If someone wants to contradict this, they'll need a strong source,
like a post from a core dev back when Jython was brand new.

ChrisA