Simple TCP proxy

Morten W. Petersen morphex at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 16:59:48 EDT 2022

OK, sounds like sunshine is getting the best of you.

It's working with a pretty heavy load, I see ways of solving potential
problems that haven't become a problem yet, and I'm enjoying it.

Maybe you should tone down the coaching until someone asks for it.

Regards,

Morten

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:46 PM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 at 04:54, Morten W. Petersen <morphex at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > OK.
> >
> > Well, I've worked with web hosting in the past, and proxies like squid
> were used to lessen the load on dynamic backends.  There was also a website
> opensourcearticles.com that we had with Firefox, Thunderbird articles
> etc. that got quite a bit of traffic.
> >
> > IIRC, that website was mostly static with some dynamic bits and heavily
> cached by squid.
>
> Yep, and squid almost certainly won't have a thread for every incoming
> connection, spinning and waiting for the back end server. But squid
> does a LOT more than simply queue connections - it'll be inspecting
> headers and retaining a cache of static content, so it's not really
> comparable.
>
> > Most websites don't get a lot of traffic though, and don't have a big
> budget for "website system administration".  So maybe that's where I'm
> partly going with this, just making a proxy that can be put in front and
> deal with a lot of common situations, in a reasonably good way.
> >
> > If I run into problems with threads that can't be managed, then a switch
> to something like the queue_manager function which has data and then
> functions that manage the data and connections is an option.
> >

> I'll be quite frank with you: this is not production-quality code. It
> should not be deployed by anyone who doesn't have a big budget for
> "website system administration *training*". This code is good as a
> tool for YOU to learn how these things work; it shouldn't be a tool
> for anyone who actually has server load issues.
>
> I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but the fact is, you can do a lot
> better by using this to learn more about networking than you'll ever
> do by trying to pitch it to any specific company.
>
> That said though: it's still good to know what your (theoretical)
> use-case is. That'll tell you what kinds of connection spam to throw
> at your proxy (lots of idle sockets? lots of HTTP requests? billions
> of half open TCP connections?) to see what it can cope with.
>
> Keep on playing with this code. There's a lot you can gain from it, still.
>
> ChrisA
> --

I am https://leavingnorway.info
Videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBlogologue