Python installation

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 4 12:51:01 EDT 2022

On Mon, 04 Jul 2022 13:29:00 +0100, Mark Pawelek <mark4asp at gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>ISSUE:  I cannot select a folder to install Python in. I want to put
>it under Program Files. The 'installer' only wants to put it in
>C:\users\Lenovo\AppData\local\Programs\Python\Python310

	That indicates two things: One, you are logged in as "Lenovo" and Two,
you are not running the installer with Admin privileges (or installed using
the "current user" option).

>What do I do to alter the path to something like:
>C:\Programs\Python310  or  C:\Program Files\Python310 ?

	Install using admin privileges and select the "All Users" option.
Though I'd recommend installing to a simple C:\Python310. If you install in
the system default "Program Files" directory any updates (which may be PIP
module installs) will need to be done under admin privileges.

>RELEVANT INFO:  It is a new Win10 PC, with i5-6500 CPU, and I added
>the user less than a week ago the first time I used the PC since I
>bought it on ebay (sold by a charity). Microsoft forced me to create a
>user. I had to enter an email address and (local) password. I have an
>online Microsoft account associated with that email address, so MS
>validated me by texting a code to my mobile which I entered at the PC.
>I didn't create the UserName: Lenovo. MS did [BTW: the PC 'Host Name'
>is something else, but the 'System Manufacturer' = Lenovo]. This
>Administrator user is the ONLY login user. The account details are:

	Someone chose that name. If M$ were choosing user names based on
manufacturer there would be thousands of "Lenovo" user names out there, and
that would not be possible for a "M$ login" (it would be possible for
"local machine" logins).

	Furthermore, one CAN set up Windows 10 WITHOUT creating a Microsoft
Domain Login. Local login accounts can be created. The only reason I have a
M$ login on my machine is that they may want it for their "app store" and
things like Visual Studio -- my machine, however, is not logged in using
the M$ account, just my local username.

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/