Data unchanged when passing data to Python in multiprocessing shared memory

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Wed Feb 2 13:16:07 EST 2022

I applaud trying to find the right solution but wonder if a more trivial solution is even being considered. It ignores big and little endians and just converts your data into another form and back.

If all you want to do is send an integer that fit in 32 bits or 64 bits, why not convert it to a character string in a form that both machines will see the same way and when read back, convert it back to an integer?

As long as both side see the same string, this can be done in reasonable time and portably.

Or am I missing something? Is "1234" not necessarily seen in the same order, or "1.234e3" or whatever?

Obviously, if the mechanism is heavily used and multiple sides keep reading and even writing the same memory location, this is not ideal. But having different incompatible processors looking at the same memory is also not.