Data unchanged when passing data to Python in multiprocessing shared memory

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 2 00:30:40 EST 2022

On Wed, 2 Feb 2022 00:40:22 +0100 (CET), Jen Kris <jenkris at tutanota.com>
declaimed the following:

> breakup = int.from_bytes(byte_val, "big")
>print("this is breakup " + str(breakup))
>
>Python prints:  this is breakup 32894
>
>Note that I had to switch from little endian to big endian.  Python is little endian by default, but in this case it's big endian.

	Look at the struct module. I'm pretty certain it has flags for big or
little end, or system native (that, or run your integers through the
various "network byte order" functions that I think C and Python both
support.

https://www.gta.ufrj.br/ensino/eel878/sockets/htonsman.html

>However, if anyone on this list knows how to pass data from a non-Python language to Python in multiprocessing.shared_memory please let me (and the list) know.

	<pondering>MMU cache lines not writing through to RAM? Can't find
anything on Google to force a cache flush</pondering> Can you test on a
different OS? (Windows vs Linux)

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/