NoneType List

avi.e.gross at gmail.com avi.e.gross at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 17:36:59 EST 2022

It depends on what people consider too complicated.

I find it a tad complicated when someone posts using two different ID, and
then wonders ...

The question related to taking a list and extending it and using the result
in an assignment statement.

There were several inter-related questions people responded to.

One was asking why something did not work as expected. Several answers
pointed out it was because it was not designed the way expected and reading
the manual page or other reference material would help explain that you need
to use code the way it was intended and not as you wish it. Other aspects of
similar code that do what you expect were shown and you could pick any you
liked.

A second question some were answering is various ways to get the
functionality wanted. Some were simple enough like using "+" and others did
seem complex as they showed many variations on copying an object or how to
make a subclass that effectively substitutes a method that returns the
internally changed object.

And, of course, we had the philosophical question of why the feature was
designed to not return anything (well, NULL) rather than return the changed
object. Returning nothing is arguably slightly more efficient in the many
cases where the return value is simply ignored and thus tossed. But as
mentioned, it would be nice for some purposes, including chaining, to be
able to write something like

result = lst.add_ret("item").sort_ret()

As mentioned, this can still be easily done using something like:

result = sorted(lst + "item")