How to enter escape character in a positional string argumentfrom the command line?

Barry barry at barrys-emacs.org
Wed Dec 21 12:12:47 EST 2022

> On 21 Dec 2022, at 17:06, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 at 03:58, gene heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

>>> Less obvious than you might think - partly because bash is just so
>>> dang good that it's really really hard to outdo it :) Sure, bash has a
>>> lot of weird and wonky edge cases, but it's an incredibly practical
>>> shell to use.
>>>
>> When you make a statement like that, Chris, you should also note that
>> every single one of those "wonky edge cases" is documented down to the
>> last dotted i. Bash's docs will kill a good sized pulp tree, needing
>> around a ream of paper to print on a duplex printer. I know, I did it
>> around a decade ago. If you like to write scripts, having a dead tree
>> copy of the docs at your elbow in incredibly useful.  That huge man page
>> does not cover it like the printed docs do.
>>

> Oh yes, absolutely true. Its wonkiness is dependable and consistent;
> but it is definitely quirky (look at all the different ways to embed
> arguments into things, and the ways that $*, $@, "$*, and "$@" behave
> when put into variables). Not usually a problem, but it does sometimes
> leave you thinking "wow, wouldn't it be easier to just use something
> like Python?". And in the complicated cases, yeah, it can be. But in
> the simple cases? Bash rocks.

I see bash scripts that are 1000’s of line of code at work and its a maintenance nightmare.

Knowing when to make the move from “handy bash script” to “this is a production application” and needs to be python is what I see people miss.

After a certain point in complexity the python code wins on maintenance.
Personally i set a low bar to move from bash to python.

Barry