How to enter escape character in a positional string argumentfrom the command line?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 12:16:47 EST 2022

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 at 04:12, Barry <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
> I see bash scripts that are 1000’s of line of code at work and its a maintenance nightmare.
>
> Knowing when to make the move from “handy bash script” to “this is a production application” and needs to be python is what I see people miss.
>
> After a certain point in complexity the python code wins on maintenance.
> Personally i set a low bar to move from bash to python.

Agreed 100%. However, how many commands do you type a day at the bash
prompt? *Every one of those* is a simple case that doesn't need
Python. That's what makes bash such a great shell. You can type
simple, convenient commands, and they *just work*. Need something a
bit more complicated? You can do that too. Want to automate a short
sequence of commands? Don't have to translate them into another system
(like Python subprocess calls), just copy/paste them into a shell
script.

Yes, there absolutely is a point beyond which it's better to translate
everything. But the vast number of commands executed every day? Most
of them are fine with bash. And that's why Python will never replace
bash as a shell.

ChrisA