pip/setuptools: Entry points not visible from pkexec-root-environment

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Sun Dec 18 14:55:50 EST 2022

Pip is fine for most packages, as it looks like you know.  Some distros
put some packages in unusual places, and those are the ones that either
are not or should not be installed via pip.  Which ones varies from
distro to distro. (I just include this  information here for others who
haven't discovered it yet).

You asked for something that's not a hack, but here's a hack anyway :).
Worth reading for the caveats -

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50783033/execute-pkexec-command-on-a-different-path

I think the most natural way is to launch it with a script that adds
your desired path to the pkexec environment.  What I don't know is if
that script needs elevated permissions itself, but you probably already
know about that.