New computer, new Python

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Dec 9 17:38:59 EST 2022

On 12/9/22 14:56, rbowman wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 12:13:16 -0500 (EST), kermit at polaris.net wrote:
>
>> How can I write my own Python Functions and subroutines in the new
>> Python?
>
> Personally, I would go with VS Code:
>
> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/training/modules/python-install-vscode/
>
> It supports virtual environments nicely:
>
> https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/python/environments

Possibly in some previous setup, IDLE was the thing you opened. IDLE
*is* an IDE - maybe not the fanciest one available, but it's written in
Python and comes with the Python distribution.  I don't disagree with
the two fine editors/IESs suggested previously (I use both of them, in
slightly different circumstances), but IDLE works well too.

Try telling windows to find and open idle and see if that's more what
you are expecting?