Parallel(?) programming with python

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Wed Aug 10 16:29:38 EDT 2022

On 2022-08-10 14:19:37 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 19:33:04 +0200, "Dieter Maurer" <dieter at handshake.de>
> declaimed the following:
> >Schachner, Joseph (US) wrote at 2022-8-9 17:04 +0000:
> >>Why would this application *require* parallel programming?   This
> >>could be done in one, single thread program.   Call time to get time
> >>and save it as start_time.   Keep a count of the number of 6 hour
> >>intervals, initialize it to 0.
[...]
> 	Though if I read this correctly, a long running action /will/
> 	delay others -- which could mean the (FFT) process could block
> 	collecting new 1-second readings while it is active.

Certainly, but does it matter? Data is received from some network
connection and network connections often involve quite a bit of
buffering. If the consumer is blocked for 3 or 4 or maybe even 20
seconds, the producer might not even notice. (This of course depends
very much on the details which we know nothing about.)

        hp