Style for docstring

Michael F. Stemper michael.stemper at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 08:57:07 EDT 2022

On 22/04/2022 21.58, Avi Gross wrote:
> Python does have a concept of "truthy" that includes meaning for not just the standard Booleans but for 0 and non-zero and the empty string and many more odd things such as an object that defines __bool__ ().
> But saying it returns a Boolean True/False valuesounds direct and simple and informative enough if that is True.
> What bothers me is the assumption that anyone knows not so muchjust group theory  but what the argument to the function looks like as a Python object of some kind.
> Does the function accept only some permutation object managed by a specific module? Will it accept some alternate representation such as a list structure or other iterator?

That's a fair point. However, this function will be the 22nd one in
a module for dealing with permutations and groups of permutations.
The module has a lengthy docstring explaining the several ways provided
to specify a permutation. That way, the same information doesn't need
to be written twenty-plus times.

> Obviously deeper details would normally be in a manual page or other documentation but as "permutations" are likely not to be what most people think about before breakfast, or even  after, odd as that may seem, ...

I see what you did there :->

--
Michael F. Stemper
Psalm 94:3-6