No shortcut Icon on Desktop

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Fri Apr 15 01:43:09 EDT 2022

Am 15.04.22 um 02:49 schrieb Mats Wichmann:
> On 4/14/22 18:06, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2022-04-14, Richard Damon <Richard at Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I think the issue is that the 'python' interpreter/compiler isn't the
>>> sort of program that makes sense to make a desktop icon for, as it is a
>>> command line utility.
>>
>> Yes, it is a command line utility. Why does that mean you shouldn't
>> have a desktop shortcut for it?
>>
>> I start up a python REPL prompt in a terminal often enough that were I
>> a windows users, I would probably want a desktop shortcut for it.
>>
>> It would at least let people know that something got installed and
>> show them what a Python is. If they don't want/use that shortcut, it's
>> trivial to delete it.
>>
> easy to add - it's a windows thing, not a python thing.  you can
> navigate to the install directory and create a shortcut and drag that
> out of that directiory in explorer and drop it on the desktop.  or you
> can navigate through the start menu, and when you get to the thing you
> want, pick open folder and then you can create a shortcut and drag off
> to the desktop.

Yes, you *can* do that of course and it is not a Python thing - but the
point is, that typical Windows installers create these shortcuts during
the installation process for you - typically there is a pre-selected
checkbox "Create desktop icons" or similar. I agree with Grant that this
is what users expect from the installer.

	Christian