No shortcut Icon on Desktop

Thu Apr 14 19:08:25 EDT 2022

On 4/14/22 2:42 PM, Mirko via Python-list wrote:
> Am 13.04.2022 um 20:39 schrieb Dennis Lee Bieber:
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 03:38:11 +1000, Tim Deke <tim.deke at gmail.com> declaimed
>> the following:
>>
>>> Dear Sir,
>>>
>>> I have successfully downloaded Python into my laptop but the shortcut icon
>>> is not appearing on the desktop. I am using Windows 10 with the PC
>>> specifications as per snap shot attached below. Can you advise what to do?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Tim Deke
>>>
>> 	Python normally does not create "shortcut icon"s -- one downloads an
> The Python Windows installer *absolutely* should. I do not know much
> about (modern) Windows, but one thing I do know is, that most
> Windows users are confused when after an installation there is no
> easy way to call the program. I do not understand, why the Windows
> installer *still* does not create a "Python 3.10" _*or similar*_
> folder on the desktop with links to IDLE (with an icon text
> describing it properly as a Python Editor/IDE), the CHM and some
> introduction text in it.
>
>> installer (which on my system would be saved in %userprofile%\downloads),
>> and executes the installer (once). Python is not an all-in-one GUI
>> development environment (ie; it is not something like Lazarus/FreePascal,
>> Visual Studio, etc.). It is an interpreter for script files and depending
>> upon how the installer sets up the environment, one may never need to
>> directly invoke the Python interpreter -- one just invokes .py script files
>> and the OS activates the correct interpreter.
> With all due respect, but do you really think that it is useful for
> a Python beginner to know how to run the bare interpreter? ;-)
>
> Wouldn't it be much better to educate them about IDLE which can be
> found in the "Startmenu"?

I think the issue is that the 'python' interpreter/compiler isn't the
sort of program that makes sense to make a desktop icon for, as it is a
command line utility.

Perhaps making an icon for IDLE, if it has also been installed, but then
the issue becomes would people recognize 'IDLE' as 'Python' to click on.

--
Richard Damon