No shortcut Icon on Desktop

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:09:06 EDT 2022

On 2022-04-14, Mirko via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:

>> 	Python normally does not create "shortcut icon"s -- one downloads an
>
> The Python Windows installer *absolutely* should.

Agreed. I'm not much of a Windows user, but I do maintain a few
Windows applications with installers. They all create desktop
shortcuts by default. There's a checkbox for it, and the user can
uncheck it. In my experience, if an installer doesn't create a desktop
shortcut by default, it just generates a lot of support calls about
the installer not working or how do you run the program? Expecting
people to go read some documentation on how to run a program, or even
expecting them to look through the start menu is asking for headaches.

That said, I don't really have much skin in this game since I neither
use nor help maintain the windows installer. I do sometimes try to
respond to the "installer is broken" or "how do I run it" posts, but
I've mostly given up on that.

--
Grant