Posts from gmane no longer allowed?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 20:28:33 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-26, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2 Every message from the OP in this 'thread' (not others) has broken the
>> thread, which indicates a wider problem/change.
>
> And I apologize for that.  It's because I'm reading the list using an
> NNTP client (slrn) connected to an NNTP server at gmane.io and then
> posting via e-mail. Doing that doesn't include the correct References
> header.  Posting via gmane stopped working a few days ago (after
> having worked for 20 years). I'm working on a solution so that slrn
> can read using NNTP and post using email (including the proper
> headers), but it's going to take a few days.

It was easier than I thought. It only took about a half hour to write
my own 'inews' utility that I can tell slrn to use for posting
articles. It looks at the article and decides based on the destination
whether to use NNTP or SMTP to send it (and then sends it using the
appropriate protocol).

It's a total of 50 lines of Python (including logging stuff to
syslog).

This is my first "real" post using it, so hopefully this shows up with
proper headers.

--
Grant