Posts from gmane no longer allowed?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 16:55:59 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-26, dn via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 06.34, Grant Edwards wrote:

>> My first _guess_ would be that Mailman started refusing emailed
>> posts from the gmane server to python-list, and that triggered the
>> gmane server to stop accepting posts for python-list.
>>

> 1 Google are not the most reliable when it comes to maintaining
> policy/services, nor for advising their decision to make changes. CI/CD
> breakage doesn't 'count' when you're big-enough not to care...

I'm not really sure what Google has to do with it other than me
wanting to post using my GMail address, since that's the one that
everybody knows. I could be using any other e-mail address, and it
wouldn't make any difference.

> 2 Every message from the OP in this 'thread' (not others) has broken the
> thread, which indicates a wider problem/change.

And I apologize for that.  It's because I'm reading the list using an
NNTP client (slrn) connected to an NNTP server at gmane.io and then
posting via e-mail. Doing that doesn't include the correct References
header.  Posting via gmane stopped working a few days ago (after
having worked for 20 years). I'm working on a solution so that slrn
can read using NNTP and post using email (including the proper
headers), but it's going to take a few days.

In the meanwhile, I'll try to manually insert the proper References:
header when I post.

> I'm ignorant of such things. Why not subscribe directly to this list
> with your dedicated/public-facing gmail address?

I find that following mailing lists using a news reader is far, far
more efficient than using an e-mail program.  Efficiently sifting
through thousands and thousands of posts in dozens of groups/lists is
want newsreaders are designed to do, and they're very good at it. One
of the big advantages of slrn is that I can create a "score file" so I
always see things I want to see, and not see things I don't want to
see. I can also search through decades of articles almost instantly
without having to have any of them stored locally.

--
Grant