Subject: Re: Posts from gmane no longer allowed?

2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Sun Sep 26 12:38:32 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-26 at 11:21:08 -0500,
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...] Do you need the 2nd factor every time you connect to GMail via a
> browser or Android Gmail app? Or just the first time for each
> browser/device?  A bit of studying seems to be in order no matter
> what. :)

No.  I use mbsync (formerly isync) to synchronize my gmail account with
a local maildir folder, and while mbsync does send the app password
(over TLS) to google every few minutes, it doesn't need the second
factor.  Or at least it hasn't so far (it's been a couple of years).  I
do get periodic nags from google because I'm using a "less secure"
method than their web page to access my mail, but I ignore them.