Subject: Re: Posts from gmane no longer allowed?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 12:21:08 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-26, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the tips on registering an application for oauth2
credentials. It sounds like I should be able to do that if I practice
my hoop-jumping a bit more.

> (But I'd still recommend an app password. Much easier.)

Yes, I really should go with the 2FA and app-password option. Do you
need the 2nd factor every time you connect to GMail via a browser or
Android Gmail app? Or just the first time for each browser/device?  A
bit of studying seems to be in order no matter what. :)

I had initially thought that oauth2 was going to be the easier row to
hoe, but it had a lot more roots and rocks than I thought.

>> I could continue to read the list with slrn, but post using something
>> like Thunderbird, but do I really want to set up a whole new MUA just
>> for one mailing list? [The other 20+ mailing lists I follow are all
>> happy with posts from gmane.]
>
> I'm not sure whether the policy change happened on python-list, or at
> gmane. From the look of the error message you got, it may have
> actually been gmane's decision. Haven't heard anything from the list
> admins here about it, either way, so I have no idea.

I'm just guessing, but I can't imagine that gmane's owner would have
done that unless python-list itself started to refuse posts (or the
python-list admins requested that gmane stop sending posts).

--
Grant