Posts from gmane no longer allowed?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 09:35:57 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-25, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been reading (and posting to) this list for many years by
> pointing an NNTP client at
> news://gmane.comp.python.general. Sometime in the past few days
> posts started being refused:
>
>     You have tried posting to gmane.comp.python.general, which is a
>     unidirectional mailing list. Gmane can therefore not send this
>     message to that mailing list.
>
> Was this a change made by the mailing list admins?
>
> If so, is it permanent?
>
> [Trying to send a plaintext e-mail via Gmail, but not sure if it's
> working.]

When composing plaintext, Gmail really should switch to a fixed font.
I'll try writing the post in slrn (which calls emacs in mail-mode) and
then inserting that file into gmail. What a colossal PITA.

Another gmane user posted a reply to my message, and I see it got
rejected also.

Were posts from gmane causing problems?

I've been trying to figure out how to set up mutt with oauth2 for
gmail, but have run into a wall there too: Google doesn't want to let
me create an "application" unless I have my own domain pre-registered
with Google.

Perhaps after 20+ years participating here, it's time to call it
quits.

--
Grant