on writing a while loop for rolling two dice

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Wed Sep 8 13:24:32 EDT 2021

Charles,

This forum is for python discussions so I will clarify that there is nothing
wrong with making up a new language, including by bootstrapping an old
language. But why not call it new and do not try to confuse people using the
old.

Python has grown and added much over the years and even had a fairly
negative experience in a transition from versions 2 to 3 as some people
complain their old software no longer works.

If you look at a language like C which was remade into C++, guess what? It
has a new name and makes no claims to be fully compatible.

If RATFOR was a more pleasant programming environment for some people and
purposes, fine.

I note Python has many modules that for some people become the most used
parts even when the base language might allow some similar functionality.
Someone who learns python but has never experienced those, may feel a bit
lost. And you can customize Python to a point where it does things in fairly
hidden ways too. There are no promises of purity.

What this particular discussion began with was much lower level and about
various ways of writing a while loop within very basic Python and seems to
be heading away into discussions of other languages. I happen to enjoy
learning and contrasting lots of languages but doubt many others do and most
people want to learn just a few good tools and use them to get their job
done. My point was if you have a tool you like and you try another you
don't, then rather than trying to force the new one, just use what works and
leave others that like it alone. Make your own religion and let others keep
theirs.

However, improvements and increased functionality may be more welcome, than
examples where the interface was changed with no benefits.