learning python ...

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue May 25 13:47:02 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-25, Michael F. Stemper <mstemper at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/05/2021 23.08, hw wrote:
>> On 5/25/21 12:37 AM, Greg Ewing wrote:
>>
>> Are all names references?  When I pass a name as a parameter to a
>> function, does the object the name is referring to, when altered by the
>> function, still appear altered after the function has returned?  I
>> wouldn't expect that ...
>
> I just ran a quick check and java (Ack, spit) does the same thing.

PHP might or might not do the same thing. There might or might not be
extra syntax to specify which you want. Where that syntax goes and how
it works varies depending on the version of PHP. There might also be a
global config file where you can change the "default" behavior. Or
not.

In PHP, there's nothing _but_ special cases to try to remember. And
the details for those cases change from one version to the next.

If ever there was a language that's perpetually unfinished, it's PHP.