learning python ...

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon May 24 10:21:33 EDT 2021

On 5/24/21 7:34 AM, hw wrote:
> Perhaps you can't see how both examples are different because you're
> looking at things from a python perspective.

Sorry but they aren't all that different.  In both cases you're
shadowing printf.  The difference is that C is a statically-typed,
compiled language, so the compiler complains that an int is not
callable, whereas  Python is a dynamic language so lookups are done at
run time, not compile time.

I don't know your background, but it sounds like you've not had a lot of
experience with dynamic languages. Certainly you have never used a
language like Scheme or LISP!  Or Smalltalk!

What is your purpose here?  Why are you learning Python when it's
apparently that you have very little desire to understand the hows and
whys of Python and its idioms and paradigms, and to find its strengths.
 You've encountered some things that to you are unexpected.  That
happens when learning any language.

Unfortunately from time to time we see someone come to the list
apparently trying to do battle with the language; rather than learn how
to work with the language they try to twist python to their preconceived
notions of what a proper language should be, whether that's by getting
hung up on a specific criticism of the grammar, or by trying to program
Python in another language (often Java).  Such encounters always lead to
frustration and such posters most often walkaway disillusioned and even
bitter.  It's a bit of an odd thing to watch, and always sad because the
outcome simply hinges on the attitude of the person learning the
language. Someone that works with the language finds it's a very
expressive and powerful tool.

Given your posts thus far, hw, I don't think Python is a good fit for
you. You're better off learning a language that more closely aligns with
the statically-typed languages you already know.